INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — Indiana’s governor says he will order Hoosiers to hunker down for an additional two weeks. The announcement was made Friday afternoon during Gov. Holcomb’s daily press conference. Holcomb had previously ordered Hoosiers statewide to stay at home for a two-week period which was scheduled to end on April 7. He also extended the public health emergency through May 3.
“President Trump has just approved my request to declare a major disaster declaration for all of our 92 counties here in the state of Indiana,” Holcomb said. The order is in response to the COVID-19 public health crisis that continues to impact the country. As of Friday morning, more than 100 Hoosiers have died from complications of COVID-19. The state reported its highest death count in 24 hours Friday. “Today we unfortunately reached a milestone and surpassed 100 deaths from COVID-19 in our state,” said Indiana health commissioner Dr. Kris Box. “As we reported this number this morning, 24 Hoosiers have died from COVID-19. That is the highest number of deaths reported to date in a 24-hour period.”
The state’s first coronavirus death was announced on March 16.
Upon this order, the American Legion Department of Indiana headquarters will remain closed, however staff will continue working remotely and be available electronically.
Together, we change lives for Veterans, their families and their communities.
Tell us Your Story