The Indiana Commission for Women recognized 12 honorees with Torchbearer Awards on Wednesday, September 26, 2018.
The annual honors are for women "who have broken down barriers, overcome obstacles to women’s full participation, and have made Indiana a better place to live, work and raise a family." Winners represent eight communities throughout the state.
Hoosier Legionnaire Judy Brown was selected as one of this year’s recipients.
Judy started work young and is a two-time Army Veteran. Judy served in the 1990’s and again after 9/11 and was designated a female combat veteran. Although her service was cut short by injury, Judy continues to serve in her local community, serving veterans and at the Indiana State House and advocating to Congress on behalf of her brothers and sisters who serve.
ICW Board of Commissioners Chair Melissa Cotterill calls this year's recipients impressive and says "they have all made significant contributions to the state and to their communities; and we are excited to be recognizing them."
The 2018 Torchbearer Award winners are:
• Kristina Box, Indiana State Health Commissioner
• Judy Brown, American Legion
• Tammy Butler Robinson, Engaging Solutions
• Melinda Clark, St. Vincent Medical Group
• Sarah Demmon, Eli Lilly and Co.
• Brenda Gerber Vincent, Lifeline, Crosswinds, Lasting Change
• Nila Miller-Cronk, Indiana State Police
• Jennifer Pope Baker, Women's Fund of Central Indiana
• Rupal Thanawala, Trident Systems Inc.
• Kendra Vanzo, Old National Bank
• Tina Walters, Fort Wayne Smallest Winner
• Donna Zimmerman, Ivy Tech Community College
The Indiana Commission for Women is committed to the full participation of women in all aspects of society in order to live, work and raise a family. ICW works to move Indiana women forward by understanding the needs of Indiana women and their families and by working strategically both within government and in our communities to help bring about positive solutions. We act as the voice of women, communicating their needs and concerns as well as their successes and contributions, so that they can become better connected to their communities and to the tools, resources and opportunities needed to find their own voice. For more information, go to: www.in.gov/icw.
Together, we change lives for Veterans, their families and their communities.
Tell us Your Story