Legion to Public: Our Turn to Rescue Coast Guard!
"There are currently 41,000 Coast Guard service members that have went without pay since January 1 due to the government shutdown," said Indiana Legion Cmdr. Rodney Strong. "This is completely unacceptable and our veterans community needs to act now!"
Take action now on behalf of our Coast Guard members. Demand the 116th Congress to immediately pass and the president sign a clean version of the Pay Our Coast Guard Act, HR 367.
Legion awards $700,000 in grants to Coast Guard members, Shutdown
The American Legion has already awarded almost $700,000 in non-repayable grants to junior ranking Coast Guard families in need. There are hundreds of additional requests already in the pipeline which The American Legion is trying to grant, but we have a very limited budget. So any amount that you can give would be most appreciated.
Current Issues Hoosier Veterans Face
The American Legion, Department of Indiana legislative team and representatives work closely with our Indiana General Assembly to help shape bills and support legislation that we believe will improve the lives of our Hoosier veterans.
The Indiana Legion also partners with three of the other largest Congressionally chartered Veterans Service Organizations in the state, the Veterans of Foreign Wars, Disabled American Veterans, and American Veterans, respectively.
This helps our voice be heard at the Indiana General Assembly and shows solidarity on the issues among all the organizations.
See below for our current Legislative Agenda.
2019 Indiana Legislative Agenda
- Return to post-2011 tuition and fee exemption for children of disabled veterans
- Expand Veterans Treatment Courts and capabilities
- Increase Funding for County Veteran Service Officers
- Extend homeless and hyperbaric oxygen therapy programs beyond 2019
- Lottery revenue to fund state veteran programs
- Charity gaming modifications and enhancements
- Veteran lD/Driver License info for state inter-agency use
- Medical Cannabis research support increased growth, and overall rescheduling
- Do not include earned disabled veteran benefits when determining state need-based financial assistance
- Support Military Justice improvements
- Raise Excise Tax credit for disabled veterans who do not own "Real" property
- Renter Credit for Disabled Veterans who would otherwise qualify for property tax break
- Include veterans receiving IU (Individual Unemployability) in property tax credit at the 100% rate.
- Increase income tax exemption on military pay
- Tax credit for landlords assisting homeless veterans in active programs
- Include spouses of KIA for property tax exemptions in Indiana
The American Legion 100th Anniversary Commemorative Coin Act
This Act, passed on September 25th, will honor the Legion for its 100 years of service by directing the U.S. Mint to issue a variety of special limited edition commemorative coins available for purchase during 2019. Congress only authorizes two coins per year. That kind of support for the legislation, which was signed into law Oct. 6 by President Donald Trump, is proof of the respect members of Congress have for the Legion.